Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

Montecristo No. 2 Review

Vitola: Torpedo (6.1" x 52RG)
Price: $12+ stick

Wrapper: Cuban, Habana
Binder: Cuban, Habana
Filler: Cuban, Habana

Aged in Humidor: One Month
(Smoked two. Gave one to a friend. The rest will age for an indefinite amount of time)





Appearance and Construction:

You look at this stick and there is nothing really fancy to it. The band is plain, no special coloring, just a dark red hinting on the brownish side with white trims, even the design is so simple. The band matches the wrapper so well, because the wrapper is in between a light and medium brown. It has a slightly oily wrapper. I squeeze the cigar and it is dense with almost perfection in moistness. The wrapper has a rustic and slightly uneven complexion but otherwise smooth with light veins.

Tasting Notes:

The initial scent of a cigar out of the box is of the factory it came from, it's of a deep stable aroma of a comparison to a strong tea leaf but it's of tobacco. The hint of that refined sweetness or amonia from fermentation is ever so light, a tiny, tad bit of it.

I'm going to be a slight hater on this cigar, because everywhere I go I read great reviews on it. I expected better. I start to light it in circular motion and I can see and smell the lightness of the fumes. The initial light gives forth a medium bodied draw of an earthy, toast-like, flavor. A little bit in, there's a light but dark hint of cocoa, spice and oak flavors, they mix well together. I liked the flavor and ease of the initial draw: it was not hard or too easy on the intake. It gave me high hopes from the first puffs.

I am on my first third. The initial flavors are still there, enjoying them. The cigar is burning steadily, unfortunately a little uneven. The filler is burning a little faster on one side, only a little bit, and burning without some of the wrapper. I have to touch it up. Other than that, the draw remained constantly well all the way through. The ash is now at it's one inch phase and drops, it doesn't hold for more than an inch. It's becoming stronger. I can start to taste the tobacco flavor more.

At mid-point I'm getting a strong leathery and smoked oak flavors along with the tobacco, those earlier flavors are less apparent. By the end, it still retained most of it's oak flavor mixing in with a deep earthy and sometimes a bit of a nice cocoa like flavor, all three phasing in and out. That's pretty much the cigar: smooth yet dark with a medium to strong body. I wish this cigar or at the very least the ones I smoked had more complex or rich flavors, instead it just turned out to be a mediocre stogie. Enjoyable but an average smoke, a bit overly praised.

My overall rating is a 88, for now

No comments:

Post a Comment