Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Letty


"Mia Toretto: Want some of this?

Dom Toretto: Yeah.

Mia Torettoa: It's spicy.

Dom Toretto: I like it hot.

Mia: Dom, what are you doing?
You reached first, you have to say grace.

Dom: Thank you, Lord, for blessing this table.

Mia: With food, family and friendship."

(Brian O'Conner is also sitting at the table quietly, just the three of them.)

Director Justin Lin and the team of writers did a nice job of bringing back the fourth edition back home instead of spinning it off.  Though I really liked the lineage that they kept all the characters and plot connected in the series.  The scene above is somewhere in the middle of the movie but that scene takes you back to the original when the crew introduced in the first movie use to say grace when they ate.  Mia had to remind her brother.

"Mia Toretto: Why don't you tell me why you dragged me here, Brian?

Brian O'Conner: You know they're going to capture Dom. Maybe worse.
I don't want you getting tangled up in this. So stay away from him.

Mia: That's what you have to say to me after five years? All of a sudden, you care what happens to me.

Brian: What I did to you was wrong. I'm sorry. It was... It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Mia: I'm sorry, too, Brian.
I'm so sorry that you had to come into my home and pretend to love me.
I'm so sorry that you ripped my family apart.
I'm very sorry that was hard for you.

Brian: I lied to you.
I lied to Dom.
I lied to everybody.
That's what I do best. It's why the Feds recruited me.

Mia: Maybe you're lying to yourself.
Maybe you're not the good guy pretending to be a bad guy.
Maybe you're the bad guy pretending to be the good guy.
You ever think about that?

Brian: Every day.

(She gets up walks a few feet and comes back standing there)

Mia: I always wondered, why did you let my brother go that day?

Brian: I don't know.

(He knows, he just wasn't prepared to answer then)

(She walks out)

This conversation at the coffee shop is a significant expression on what this sequel is about, along with what was to come from what happens to Letty.

Later in the scene at the house after dinner, when the emotions have settled and they connect again...

Brian: You asked me why I let Dom go.
I think it's because at that moment,
I respected him more than I did myself.
Yeah.

One thing I learned from Dom is that nothing really matters unless you have a code.

Mia: And what's your code, Brian

Brian: I'm working on it."

(Good Fight Scene)

This one had a little more heart than it did flash or adrenaline, everything from the personal beef with Dom and Fenix to emphasizing love doesn't have to be a normal relationship.  Put 'da 1970 Charger with the supercharger sticking out the 426 (switched over to "electronic injection") back.  I liked the primed out gray Chevelle better than when it was in red with black stripes because if you're potentially going to wreck a car, don't do it all prettied out.  The meat in the sandwich was the 1970 Charger, Chevelle SS, Camaro F-Bomb, the lettuce and tomatoes were Brian's blue Skyline and the yellow Tjaarda Mustang mod, the bottom bread is the Buick GNX  in the beginning and the top bread is like the Acura NSX, 1970 Charger (yes mentioned again) and the Pontiac Trans AM combo in the end.  The other cars are like Mayonnaise and Mustard.

1 comment: