Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2016

Racism

On my Facebook page I wanted to post a simple remark "I wasn't racist before but now I am." Racism isn't a born trait, it's learned. You get that disease from your parents, those around you, the media, or just living. Stereotypes and statistics has to do with it also. What other factors impede unity? Is it just as simple as our brains not liking a color that doesn't go with another color?

Where do I begin with this topic. Let's start with a personal one before I move onto the one that is higher on the media advocated level. I am Chinese...American. Being Chinese due to my genes before you even hear me speak or do anything is exactly that, you see my Asian traits: eyes, skin tone, hair. Don't even go forth with hearing me speak or how I think. Someone racist would not like me, again based on one factor or another: parent influenced, lack of dealing with other nationalities, stereotypes from what they've heard of Chinese people, doing the same taunts as other people around them have done or as simple as not liking anything different than what that racist person's nationality is. I have been slandered at in a racist manner by in it's highest in this exact order: African-Americans less so those from Africa, Hispanics, Caribbeans, Europeans, Americans, Asians.

Not as much now but when I was younger in the 80s and 90s the most racist came from African-Americans and Hispanics in the city of New York where I grew up, less so Caucasians, well I wasn't in the Mid-West. Then I encountered more the same as I grew older from other nationalities. I mean almost everything has been thrown my way: imitating of the slanting of the eyes, small penis jokes, being called a dirty "chink", to being accused of eating dogs. My eyes are not that narrow, my parents nor I have ever eaten a dog or cat and my penis is of a decent size. Why do people put something done by a group of people and label all people of that nationality with the same racist stereotypes? So with that comment, not all African-Americans and not all Hispanics were like that to me. That's the thing about being racist, not everyone is or grew up with that trait. It's terribly learned. Every nationality has people who are racist.

There's no greater "shame on you" than to point a finger at someone else unless you're 100% immune from truly not being prejudice. If you defend your own race solely and say another race is at fault, you are part of the problem. So thus, I'll asking am I racist? Yes, slightly. I'll explain some factors. My view towards white people (I'll stop being politically correct for a bit, please don't be offended) is 99% non-prejudice unless you declare yourself KKK. Even if you are racist and call me a "chink" and slander whatever racist crap toward me I will have no bad view toward you because from my experience I have been fortified with thinking that one of the reasons mentioned earlier caused you to hate my race; maybe someone in your racist track of mind someone told you "foreigners have taken your job and invading your country." Maybe that is your trigger mechanism for being racist. Here's my slight prejudice toward black people besides my experience of racial taunts toward me as a youth: many are strongly opinionated to the point of being loud, I understand overcoming slavery was a great revolution with it more equal racial advances and one must advocate continuing that advance but must it be in my face? Blacks can be just as prejudice as any other group. I see so much hateful and prejudice post and remarks on my Facebook page toward white people as well as in person, especially around groups, and especially in urban settings. These reasons for my, apologetic reasons for being slightly prejudice toward black people. But not for a person's skin tone. I don't dislike blacks because of a skin tone but for the majority behavior. So, I am racist? No. But I do exhibit racial profiling and stereotype views because like you see me as having Asian traits before I act or speak, I will see your skin tone before you act. I'll judge first by your nationality first before I can tell how you think and behave based on your majorities actions in society.

Statistics: From my perspective I view more crime committed by African-Americans as a majority, then Hispanics, then Caucasians, then Asians, then Other Nationalities. Is that a perspective that if I were in the woods isolated from media? No. It's media streaming inward toward me. In my mind African-Americans cause a higher crime rate, bam!, third reason I stereotype some African-Americans. So, before I can judge your good nature, in the back of my mind that's where another reason a prejudice addition might come from. It is based on society for sure as I have read crime statistics are real but they come with a reason: possibly black communities are heavier policed and racial profiling is very real.

In the News Now: another African-American, Alton Sterling, killed by a Caucasian police officer. #BlackLivesMatter supporters and alike question if the deceased had a weapon and is it race motivated. The second African-American killed, Philando Castile, by a police officer also making headlines. In the latter incident, the girlfriend of the deceased broadcasted live part of the incident on Facebook. In part she stated a Chinese man had shot her boyfriend. Wrong. The officer, Jeronimo Yanez, who shot Philando Castile is from Hispanic ancestors. I'm not trying to blame Diamond Reynolds (she has suffered a lost) or any group, but can you see how from a Chinese standpoint her view of traits to mistakenly accuse a Hispanic police officer as a Chinese police officer. I am reading remarks from African-Americans on Facebook racially hateful remarks towards Chinese people. And then what's worst is Micah Xavier Johnson snipes to death 5 police officers in Dallas. "An eye for an eye will make the world blind"

What's the Problem:
---Police Over Powering Enforcement and Racial Profiling but they have to be aggressive and on their toes and make judgement also, it's the line of work. They can't say oh sir please put down your gun or or be too light when someone is being unruly. If someone exhibits signs of being a criminal, police just can't ignore the activity, they have to check.

What's the Solution:
---It's hard but better police management or training and less brotherly blue garbage but that's too concrete.


What's the Problem:
---It took decades of progress to have racial equality and acceptance of different nationalities through a unity type advocacy. That breaking out of slavery or bondage isn't 100% about freedom from slavery, it's about breaking out of being a race being lower class. It's a wound, an injury and over the years it became a scar that never fully really healed. Guess what, no one forgets history, they shouldn't. Police killing African-Americans are opening that scar and those who feel very passionate about the past are rising up, again, continuing the fight.

What's the Solution:
---It's not all police officers. It's not all African-Americans. It's not all Caucasians. It's not all Hispanics. It's not all Asians\Indians. It's not all Muslims\Christians\people that believe in God and labelled. I see all nationalities marching along side these #BlackLivesMatter protest along with #AllLivesMatter, yes and yes...Black Lives Do Matter and so Do All Lives. Stop learning from prejudice influences, listening to prejudice in the media/mobs/even people in the spot light. That oh I fight for my race and I blame yours and overly strong advocacy in the wrong way is rotting the lot of growing good apples. On my Facebook page I saw Russell Simmons page post a meme:

Yes, African-American profiling and the killings is the focus and #AllLivesMatter takes the spotlight away from the focus. I guess Russell Simmons is making the point that as an individual group, African-Americans advocating and protesting the killing of their own should be the sole focus and no other reasoning should take the spotlight away from #BlackLivesMatter. Which is fine but that perspective is also causing further division in that solely aspect. Segregation did not end with blacks alone, white folks marched and aided in ending segregation also, know your history. In a way, the meme is correct, #AllLivesMatter takes the point away from #BlackLivesMatter but I think #AllLivesMatter is also about #Unity

Yes, I can see an African-Americans standpoint. If police officers were killing my people I would have a fit also. Maybe all this outcry, protest and violence like it was back in history, decades ago in Martin Luther King's day, is needed in order to bring back some peace. But Martin Luther King didn't spew hate, he advocated equality for his people.

No comments:

Post a Comment