Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2012

My Uzi Weighs A Ton Cigar Review


Nice name for a cigar; like it's niche name of a brand it comes from: "Subculture Studios" a division of Drew Estate in conjunction with Joya de Nicaragua. The cigar is dubbed this for I guess honoring the subculture of art and music. I've smoked a few Joya de Nicaragua cigars but only recently heard of Drew Estate for their La Privida due to Undercrown, No. 9 and their flavored brands like Java. If not for both their reputation, I would think it's a gimmicky class blend like the Cuban Honey cigars. Looking at the band, which I don't base a cigars quality by, it is designed like an ad for a concert billboard... for Public Enemy No. 1...

Play: My Uzi Weighs A Ton by Public Enemy No. 1...when I light this cigar up. Whether the cigar is named after the song or as I have read named Uzi and then when the cabinet was picked up, it weighed a ton, thereafter it was branded My Uzi Weighs A Ton. Whatever, I like the name, marketing, producers and the cigar.

 

Vitola: Toro (6" x 60RG)
Price: $6-$9+ stick

Wrapper: San Andres (Maduro)
Binder: Ecuadorian version of Connecticut
Filler: Brazilian Mata Fina and Nicaraguan

Aged in Humidor: Read Below


This cigar has only been sitting in my humidor for 4 months in it's clear cellophane cover. When I take it out, I get a good whiff of strong dark chocolate and brownie scents. The cold draw is of the same but comes with an extra spice like an off version of turmeric. On examining the one I smoked to find it is packed tight, solid (no soft spots), like a log and with no construction flaws except for a couple of tiny apostrophe sized scratches. The veins are lightly present on the noticeable leaf like wrapper: dark brown with a reddish hew and black shading. I like how this fat 6" x 60 feels in my hands (total opposite of a Corona in 42RG). It lights very easy unlike some other cigars I have come across. The draw is right in the middle. Notes on the side of a bit of flavored coffee hit me, like French or South Asian bean, on the initial draw. One centimeter in is espresso in the draw. That slightly offbeat coffee note is not rich at all; you will get a repeat of that last statement. After mostly coffee and espresso, the end of the first third brings a short spell of ammonia which never appears again. ---The fumes are not light nor overwhelming ---The ash ripples of grey and waves of black ---At one inch in it holds of a solid cone ---Part of the wrapper, at this point, has a particle hanging but burns even by itself right away The beginning of the first inch is of dark cocoa and then dark chocolate. The retrohale does not hit me with much spice or kick like some other cigars but does retain that dark chocolate taste. ---At one and a half inch, the ash retains the ripple of black and grey but now has a tone of brownish, rust like color ---The ash limps sideways ---Two inches in the ash falls Two inches in is a creamy tobacco (not the bitter kind) with dark coffee bean in the retrohale. As I do most cigars, I put it close to my nose every once in a while as it burns for it's aroma: again just like the retrohale: creamy tobacco and dark coffee. The beginning of the second third gets a light cocoa aroma. As I am smoking this I am waiting for my order of food. I am smoking this outside a bench of a smokehouse. The cigar pairs okay with a light beer but not BBQ. I think it pairs well with a Frappuccino with bits of chocolate inside, which I grab later and am pretty much up to the final third. That's right this cigar burns at a good two and half plus hour pace. At one point it was dying out after leaving it for a bit over five minutes and it only took a few puffs to come back alive. I relight anyway to get the full burn back. It comes back with a bit of caramel and a barnyard scent then that dark chocolate and creamy tobacco is back in full force. Near the last inch and a half comes a little bitterness but goes away to present a grilled meat like taste. That dark chocolate taste is still there and I am now outside a Starbucks with my Frappuccino, it pairs well with my drink. Final notes on this cigar is that I would order it again because it's a cigar I place as medium in strength. but for the price of $6-$9 a stick, I find others to be more worth while, I put this at $5 a stick. My rating of it ranks it at the bottom of my top 15 with a 89; I would love to see an enhanced blend of My Uzi. ---The burn, draw, tasting notes, ash, construction and visual appeal of this stick is excellent ---The cigar is not very aromatic, it lacks that aroma that hits your head back to relax - I have had some that by the half way point, I was almost knocked out ---The cigar is dark with only a tad of richness ---The cigar is smooth without any harshness or bitterness
---The cigar is not very complex
---Like the fumes as stated earlier, the entire cigar is not overwhelming

If you want to see the details on this stick feel free to view:

No comments:

Post a Comment